A "Road" marathon in Kent for the AGM!
South East Kent was home to a rich mining heritage and one of the legacies of that was a huge spoilage area outside of what was Betteshanger Colliery. In recent years this has been totally transformed in to what is now known as Betteshanger Country Park.
Betteshanger Country Park, near Deal in East Kent, has a two mile tarmac cycle track and we're going to use this for the AGM Marathon. Key features of the event are going to be:-
1) Handicap start for slower runners. We will have a 7:00 time limit. Starts from 0730 onwards. For guests or runners not wishing to take part in the handicap competition start times are flexible with the plan to have everyone finished about 1430.
2) Awards for the winners of both the handicap (1st, 2nd & 3rd gender neutral) and "quickest time " (1st place male and 1st place female for the quickest times of the day, bear in mind this is a time trail rather than a regular race, so the winner might be setting off at 0800 and someone setting off at 1100 might never see them!).
3) Dated, bespoke, custom 100 Marathon Club AGM Marathon medal.
4) Usual Saxons, Vikings & Normans goody bag and "picnic" aid station!
5) AGM in the cafe about 15:00 when we hope everyone would have finished around that time.
6) Classified as a road marathon, will be 12.96 laps of the track to make up the 26m385y distance.
7) 125 runner limit
There are slopes rather than hills, so its not totally flat, each loop has maybe 50 feet of elevation rise.
The 2016 Medal - The 2017 one will be simiilar in design but with new dates of course!
As usual we'll have a well stocked aid station which you'll pass every two miles, a unique custom made medal and a goody bag that actually contains goodies. There is also an on site cafe, a playground for kids and all in all is a nice place to host a run!
It's our aim that this event makes an impactful difference to the Betteshanger Country Park in a positive fashion and as such £5 from each entry fee will be donated directly to the Park to aid them in maintaining this lovely environment.
Please explore the race and consider joining us!